This list is not exhaustive but will offer you an idea of what to pack for your safari. We are always available to offer you advice on the telephone or by email before you travel and any last minutes queries or questions:
· Long sleeved light shirts or t-shirts
· Short sleeved shirts or t-shirts
· Long lightweight /fast drying trousers (some offer insect repellent)
· Shorts if required
· Soft broad-brimmed hat and a good pair of sunglasses (i normally take two pairs as they can easily break or get lost)
· A warm jacket (a lightweight down jacket is ideal) with hood if travelling in cooler winter months or
· A lightweight, windproof top – early mornings on open vehicles can be chilly, even in the heat of summer. If travelling in green season do take a waterproof jacket.
· Buffs (multi-functional tubular bandanna) or cotton kikoi/sarongs – a must for keeping your hair off your face or protected from the elements, the sun or cold wind off your neck and the dust off your camera
· Warm tops (fleece/hoodie type)
· 3 pairs of socks (again good with insect repellent)
· PJs and underwear
· 1 pair lightweight but sturdy closed shoes (waterproof/quick drying)
· 1 pair sandals or flip-flops
· Your favourite travel-size toiletries (many lodges and camps offer eco-friendly toiletries)
. A small torch /spare batteries
· Sunblock and sun-protective lip-balm - high SPF
· Mosquito repellent (most effective with DEET)
· Rehydration Salts – very important. You can also take a sports rehydration product and drink lots of water on a daily basis to avoid getting dehydrated in the first place
· A small supply of travel medicines such as malaria tablets, anti-histamines, diarrhoea medication, a bottle of TCP or liquid antiseptic, plasters – all may come in handy.
· Wildlife and bird guides (e-guides are handy - the Sasol eBirds of Southern Africa and Wildlife of Southern Africa apps are excellent)
· Binoculars – bring a fairly compact pair e.g. 7x40 and do bring one pair for each traveller!
· Camera equipment - a powerful bridge camera or SLR with good zoom lenses. Extra batteries and SIM cards are very useful!
Pack for a Purpose
Many lodges and camps support this wonderful initiative - for example, for just 2.2 kg (5 lbs) of your weight allowance you can bring one of the following:
• 400 pencils
• 5 deflated soccer balls with an inflation device
• A stethoscope, a blood pressure cuff and 500 Band-Aids
Ask us for further information!